Scotch Meat Loaves with Sweet Chili Sauce
Prepare 4 hardboiled eggs. Let cool and peel. Set aside.
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 3/4 cup dried bread crumbs (or crushed crackers)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- dash pepper
Combine these ingredients in a bowl. Use your hands, get nice and dirty! Divide the meat mixture into 4 equal parts.
Take one section of the meat and wrap it around one hardboiled egg to form a large meatball, roughly the size of a fist. Well, my fist, anyway. Repeat for all 4 eggs to get 4 meatballs.
Place in a glass baking dish. Cook at 350 Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
While the meatballs are cooking, prepare the chili sauce:
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
Combine these ingredients and stir well. After the meatballs have cooked for 30 minutes, drain off any fat (if you want to go that way). Spoon chili sauce over the meatballs. Return to oven and cook another 15 minutes. Enjoy!
- I usually double the sauce as it is a huge favourite, and we love eating it on rice.
- We also enjoy grating cheese over the meatballs in the last few minutes of cooking. Cheddar, mozzarella, monterey jack, whatever you like!
- Sometimes, when I want to make my meat stretch further, I can make 5 meatballs using 1 lb of meat. Just for shits and giggles.
- I usually serve these with rice and steamed broccoli (which is not in the picture, but I was out of broccoli). The sauce tastes great with those little trees!