Wednesday 18 July 2007

Mrs. Mustard does Meatballs

This one has been a family favourite for over 20 years. It may sound strange when you read the recipe, and *egaad* it's a form of meatloaf. WIth an egg in the middle?! WTF?! But I guarantee you, it's not your Aunt Bessie's greasy mushy loaf. Easy to make, yummy to eat!

Scotch Meat Loaves with Sweet Chili Sauce


Prepare 4 hardboiled eggs. Let cool and peel. Set aside.

  • 1 lb hamburger

  • 1/4 cup finely chopped onions

  • 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper

  • 3/4 cup dried bread crumbs (or crushed crackers)

  • 1/2 tsp salt

  • 1 egg

  • dash pepper


Combine these ingredients in a bowl. Use your hands, get nice and dirty! Divide the meat mixture into 4 equal parts.

Take one section of the meat and wrap it around one hardboiled egg to form a large meatball, roughly the size of a fist. Well, my fist, anyway. Repeat for all 4 eggs to get 4 meatballs.

Place in a glass baking dish. Cook at 350 Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.

While the meatballs are cooking, prepare the chili sauce:

  • 1/2 cup ketchup

  • 2 tbsp water

  • 1 tsp white vinegar

  • 1/2 tsp chili powder

  • 1/4 tsp dried oregano


Combine these ingredients and stir well. After the meatballs have cooked for 30 minutes, drain off any fat (if you want to go that way). Spoon chili sauce over the meatballs. Return to oven and cook another 15 minutes. Enjoy!

scotch-meat-loaf.jpg

Tips:

  • I usually double the sauce as it is a huge favourite, and we love eating it on rice.

  • We also enjoy grating cheese over the meatballs in the last few minutes of cooking. Cheddar, mozzarella, monterey jack, whatever you like!

  • Sometimes, when I want to make my meat stretch further, I can make 5 meatballs using 1 lb of meat. Just for shits and giggles.

  • I usually serve these with rice and steamed broccoli (which is not in the picture, but I was out of broccoli). The sauce tastes great with those little trees!

11 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to check this out! Sounds really yum...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the best, I tell you! I think I triple the sauce, maybe quadruple, actually. The cheese on top for me is a must! I was just thinking about these, actually, now you're making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sauce...but I don't drink it like you, Stef...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I need enough sauce to drown my rice in, too. hehehe last time I made it, the meat balls were swimming in the pan, I tell you. Swimming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A K A scotch eggs. You can also make them with ground up sausage meat. Not that I do, seeing as I can't eat eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. [...] if I don’t cook, we won’t eat until 8ish.  Yuck.  So she has asked me to make those yummy meatloaves.  If you haven’t tried them yet, YOU [...]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finally made these tonight - deeeelicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. [...] other news this week, I made this recipe from Mrs. Mustard’s (a.k.a. the Perogy Princess) lovely blog a couple of nights ago - and let [...]

    ReplyDelete
  9. 8h8ajbla7hqznmms

    ReplyDelete
  10. [...] I say mostly because she still calls me every friggin time she makes scotch meatloaves, even though I have given her the recipe numerous times, and it is posted on my [...]

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmmm... made these again tonight for the first time in a long time.

    So delicious :) Thanks for the yum!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Comments? Questions?